Posturology guidelines and
interdisciplinary case study
The material and theories disclosed by this publication are the result of long research started in the year 2000, in progress so far and carried out with a unique protocol. Since this study owes itís feasibility to some coincidences, is supposed to be the unreleased before and hardly further repeatable, nevertheless, until research wonít shed light over, it is thought to be the most advanced method developed for this type of study.
The activity was initially undertaken to achieve an opportunistic goal: the author was confident to find a health care professional to diagnose and cure his problems, hopefully relying on healthcare system to be suitable for the diagnostic exploration and therapeutic treatment and on underlying scientific knowledge of the matter, the method was a casual research of someone who understood the claimed symptoms.
This initial strategy soon became misleading from the intended scope, the ascertainment of lack of scientific knowledge, the lowering confidence in health care professionals and the growing frustration from therapeutic and diagnostic attempts failures surprisingly turned into strong determination in the aim pursuing and gave birth to the self evaluation method to do it, hence the challenge was accepted.
The final strategy redesigned the method as follows:All the research has been carried out by the author being at the same time:
- the patient (having the pathological behaviour);
- the control subject (having the physiological behaviour as well);
- the research personnel (gathering all the specific knowledge and having developed the method);
- the research lab (relying on self evaluation method and poor own technology);
- the sponsor (beeing the present a self financed reserach).
- neurological afferent information self analysis method, from now on self evaluation
- temporary and slight subsidence of most of the symptoms, from now on regression events.
- 50%: unsuccessful diagnostic and therapeutic services useful for differential diagnosis elimination (resolution attempts);
- 20%: consoling fatherly words like "nobody is symmetric" or "why are you here, nothingís wrong with you";
- 20%: inspiring source for next hypothesis advancement;
- 10%: partially successful diagnostic and therapeutic treatments (Dra18, Dra22, Dra23)
- ability to experience either pathological and physiological behaviour within the same subject thanks to unilateral nature of the postural deviation (confronting ipsilateral chronic pathology with contralateral normal physiology) and to itís regression events (confronting ipsilateral chronic pathology with ipsilateral temporary physiology);
- great self perception in all static/motion contests thanks to constant seek to self athletic performance improvement;
- objectivity of evaluation thanks to scientific approach;
- patient, control subjects and research personnel availability for observation;
- full interdisciplinary information exchange amongst research personnel;
- context, environmental and historical variations monitorability;
- observation medias;
- patient, control subjects and research personnel motivation in solve the problem.
Q: what was your initial symptomatic compliance ?
A: I first recognized that a kind of motor asymmetry forced me to strange movement in ordinary athletic activity and it either decreased athletic performance and overloaded muscles and joints, the motor disorder was not confined to athletic activity but involved all motor ordinary activity, on the affected left side only.
Q: who did you go to for solving your problem ?
A: Iíve tried lot of practitioners with different specialties and approaches but my way of exposing the problem did not allow anyone neither to diagnose nor to even understand me, so I realized that some further effort had to be done in order to provide more precise elements to them.
Q: why didnít you give up since problems were not disabling ?
A: The initial problem wasnít really worth the later effort but the more I got deep into it the more I recognised itís asymptomatic but evident degenerations and itís relationship with most of my symptomatic manifestations I previously didnít relate to. This shocking finding together with the evidence of reversibility (provided by the regression events) and some worsening manifestation (of what previously asymptomatic) gave me the certainty that the effort deserved all my resources.
Q: how did you get to this point ?
A: I first thought that once found the primary postural unbalance it would have been possible to treat in turn each supposed etiology with existing non-invasive therapies waiting for the resolutive outcome, unfortunately the currently supposed etiology might require highly invasive treatments and so has to be thoroughly investigated prior to therapy design. Given the effort required, the investigation may not do away from external medical personnel interest, full involvement and trust on the etiological hypothesis, way far from health care approach and much more oriented to a scientific research one.Q: why should scientific research be interested in this ?
A: Postural distortions damages are nowadays wide accepted as the main responsible for the most diffuse (and socially expensive) pathologies, research deriving benefits would be a social conquest, nevertheless posturology is still neglected. My postural deviation is not uncommon, individual variations are easily observable in quite all the population, furthermore symptoms I experience are amongst the commonest degenerative diseases encountered by health professionals, this is why I suspect the etiology not to be isolated. This case study exposes theories, evidences and methods never previously presented together with all the details to demonstrate itís reliable hypothetical base, is something worth betting on.
Q: which scientific research branch should be interested in it ?
A: During literature seek after activity I daily deal with lots of branches of medicine all having to do with similar problems but from different point of view, confirming medical science orientation toward specialization rather than interdisciplinary approach; given the current orientation I guess my material might sound interesting for:
- otorhinolaryngology: sleep respiration disorders, swallowing disorder, speech disorder research (Ptd01, Ptd02);
- angiology: stroke and TIA prevention research (EThn02);
- neurology: cranial nerve surgery research (EThn01, EThn02);
- gnatology: TMJ and dental disorders development research (ETmi01)
Intended audience: after having ascertained the insufficiency of health care system for not prototyped diagnosis processes and the unavailability to allocate resources to not highly disabling pathologies, widespreading all this material and allowing it to be freely accessible felt to be the only way to arouse the scientific interest essential for this type of diagnosis, the effort is aimed to seeking research/healthcare institutes interested in supporting the etiological diagnosis process of the authorís case study hopefully encouraged by deriving research outcome profitability. Educational requirement to understand this material is basic scientific background in the medical field.
Intended meaning: given the individual clinical relevance of the material and the lack of scientific acknowledgment, this research is neither intended to demonstrate whatís stated nor to deny any conflicting existing bibliography; itís meant to present new hypothesis, theories and evidences that do not result from any other previously published material in the hope they will give elements to research enhancement.
Bibliographic references: precise bibliographic references are provided only when felt to be mandatory for hypothesis support, are elsewhere substituted by the keywords to use to search for it or neglected if unnecessary.
Copyrights: this material is self published and is propriety of the author, for details/requests contact Paolo Platania
Bugs report and technical issues notification to the webmaster are highly apreciated
|Posture, etiology of a syndrome - ©2008 Paolo Platania|